Whether you prefer hitting the trails or pounding the pavement, the Las Vegas Valley is an excellent place for bicycle enthusiasts. With hundreds of miles of bike trails throughout Las Vegas, Henderson, and Summerlin there’s always a new place for bicyclists to enjoy. Since May is National Bike Month, Bike to Work Week is from May 15-21, and Bike to Work Day is on May 19, the Nevada injury lawyers at ER Injury Attorneys want to make sure that you and your family stays safe while biking. Here are five vital bicycle safety tips to help you do so.
Five Crucial Bicycle Safety Tips For National Bike Month
While bicycle accidents can often be severe due to the rider’s lack of protection, most accidents are avoidable. There are many easy and simple things that you can do that go a long way towards avoiding a bike crash. In the spirit of National Bike Month, ER Injury Attorneys offers five important safety tips below for you to follow and share with your family.
- Practice Regular Bicycle Maintenance: some of the most important bicycle safety tips should be performed before you even get on your bike. This includes proper bike maintenance. Check your bike regularly for any signs of wear or damage, such as proper tire pressure, brake wear, and chain lubrication. Give your bike a quick scan before every ride. Keeping your bike in great condition can help you avoid an easily-preventable crash.
- Stay Hydrated: this is another vital pre-ride safety tip for you to follow. Be sure to be hydrated before you set out on your ride and have sufficient water to keep you hydrated throughout the day. Las Vegas is classified as a subtropical hot desert climate, which means that most of the year is hot and dry. Simply being outside will dehydrate your body, while engaging in physical activity makes the process even faster. Dehydration can cause muscle cramps, which can make you lose control of your bicycle and lead to an accident.
- Follow All Traffic Rules: be sure to learn Nevada’s bicycle laws. The state has established BicycleNevada.com to make it easier for bikers to learn the rules of the road. Obey all traffic signs, signals, and laws. Ride in the same direction as traffic, signal your turns, and obey stop signs and red lights.
- Always Wear a Helmet: although Nevada does not require bicyclists to wear a helmet, ER Injury Attorneys highly recommends all bicyclists to wear them. A bicycle helmet greatly reduces your chances of a brain injury or catastrophic injury in the event of an accident. If you’re a first-time buyer, Helmets.org has a great guide on what to look for when buying a bike helmet.
- Be Visible: being easily seen by motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians is crucial to avoiding accidents. Be sure to wear bright colors or clothing with reflective strips while riding your bike. Adding reflectors and lights to your bike is a fantastic way to increase visibility.
Contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
The Las Vegas injury lawyers at ER Injury Attorneys hope that you have a safe and enjoyable National Bike Month. Please share our safety tips above to celebrate the event. Should you or a biker in your household suffer injuries in a bicycle accident caused by another party then contact us for immediate assistance.
You can reach ER Injury Attorneys 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone at 702-878-7878 or online through LiveChat or encrypted contact form. Our attorneys represent injury victims throughout Nevada, including Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin, Pahrump, Boulder City, Laughlin, and beyond. If you’re looking for a Southern Nevada injury lawyer with a proven track record of winning fantastic settlements for clients and a reputation for exemplary customer service then contact ER Injury Attorneys today.
The information on this blog is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to serve as legal advice for an individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship nor does viewing this material constitute an attorney-client relationship.